In photography and videography, a filter is a camera accessory consisting of an optical filter that can be inserted into the optical path. The filter can be of a square or oblong shape and mounted in a holder accessory, or, more commonly, a glass or plastic disk in a metal or plastic ring frame, which can be screwed into the front of or clipped onto the camera lens. In digital photography the majority of filters used with film cameras have been rendered redundant by digital filters applied either in-camera or during post processing. Exceptions include the ultraviolet (UV) filter typically used to protect the front surface of the lens, the neutral density (ND) filter, the polarising filter and the infra red (IR) filter. The neutral density filter permits effects requiring wide apertures or long exposures to be applied to brightly lit scenes, while the graduated neutral density filter is useful in situations where the scene's dynamic range exceeds the capability of the sensor. Not using optical filters in front of the lens has the advantage of avoiding the reduction of image quality caused by the presence of an extra optical element in the light path and may be necessary to avoid vignetting when using wide-angle lenses.
- High definition, MRC multi-coated nano UV filter, made with Japan imported glass for 99.6% transmittance.
- 18-Layer multi-resistant coating technology filter ultraviolet light and effectively reduce filter surface reflection and ghosting while making the filter anti-scratch, water repellent, oil and dust resistant.
- Super slim and lightweight aluminum frame, maximum reduce impact on light and effectively avoid dark corner for wide-angle shooting.
- The nano coating is an outer layer of protection that comes standard with all XS-Pro Digital MRC filters. The nanotechnology based characteristic (lotus effect) produces a better beading effect with water, making the cleaning of this filter even simpler and faster than ever before. MRC nano has an improved outer layer over regular MRC.
- A multi-purpose fine-weather filter Absorbs the ultraviolet rays which often makes outdoor photographs hazy and indistinct. A multi-purpose, fine-weather filter for color as well as black and white films. Also serves as a permanent lens protector.